Arizona dating jewish lemmon mount service
In 1857 Tucson became a stage station on the San Antonio-San Diego Mail Line and in 1858 became 3rd division headquarters of the Butterfield Overland Mail until the line shut down in March 1861.
The Overland Mail Corporation attempted to continue running, however following the Bascom Affair, devastating Apache attacks on the stations and coaches ended operations in August 1861.
A separate Convento settlement was founded downstream along the Santa Cruz River, near the base of what is now "A" mountain.
Hugo O'Conor, the founding father of the city of Tucson, Arizona authorized the construction of a military fort in that location, Presidio San Agustín del Tucsón, on August 20, 1775 (near the present downtown Pima County Courthouse).
From August 1861 to mid-1862, Tucson was the western capital of the Confederate Arizona Territory, the eastern capital being Mesilla.
In 1862 the California Column drove the Confederate forces out of Arizona.
During the Spanish period of the presidio, attacks such as the Second Battle of Tucson were repeatedly mounted by Apaches.
Eventually the town came to be called "Tucson" and became a part of Mexico after it gained independence from Spain in 1821.
The Spanish name of the city, Tucsón Tucson was probably first visited by Paleo-Indians, known to have been in southern Arizona about 12,000 years ago.
Brazelton held up two stages in the summer of 1878 near Point of Mountain Station approximately seventeen miles northwest of Tucson. to send special agent and future Pima County sheriff Bob Paul to investigate.
John Clum, of Tombstone, Arizona fame was one of the passengers. Fort Lowell, then east of Tucson, was established to help protect settlers from Apache attacks.
In 2006 the population of Pima County, in which Tucson is located, passed one million while the City of Tucson's population was 535,000.
In 1912, when Arizona statehood became reality, the total number of different flags that had flown over Tucson now numbered five: American, Spanish, Mexican, Confederate, and the State of Arizona.In 1890, Asians made up 4.2% of the city's population. The population increased gradually to 13,913 in 1910. Many veterans who had been gassed in World War I and were in need of respiratory therapy began coming to Tucson after the war, due to the clean dry air.